Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Trying to be polite

Working as a switchboard operator/everything else brings one into contact with some real characters (thats being polite) and dealing with these "delightful people". Typical scenario: phone rings and I answer with my standard greeting and end with my name. The majority of people only hear the first part of it - and I get called everything from Nicky to Margaret and Phoebe - how the hell do they get that out of my name - I dont know.

Then it is my favourite Hall of Famer: "You phoned me" me" To whom am I speaking?" person "I dont know you phoned me" me " Well do you know who might've been looking for you" person "I dont have a ******king idea I thought you knew these things" me (still trying to be polite but ears rapidly flattening "Well maybe they'll phone back and then you will find out" person "Well thats no dam help you're such a stupid bitch" phone slammed down. This is a regular almost daily occurance so much so that I have got it down to a fine art.

However by the end of the week it has worn rather thin and a nice bottle of wine to take the edge off helps tremendously. Oh - I dont want you to think I'm an alcholic - just a functional one!! KIDDING

No comments: