Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Those ears are up!!

The best boost of confidence a girl can get is to be told she is good at something. For a person who has lacked confidence her entire life due to problems with her weight, intelligence and for a variety of health reasons– it is like nectar from the gods!!

I don’t think people realise how cruel words can be to a person. You know that saying sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me. In an ever increasingly stressful society this is certainly not the case at all, and the rise in the use of anxiety and other stress reliever medications is reaching an all time high. If there is a problem we pop a pill to deal with it and medicate ourselves instead of dealing with it and facing the problem head on. Our words have become our weapons of choice and boy can we use them to deadly effect. It has been reported that verbal abuse is just as devastating as physical abuse as it is words and we all know the power of the spoken and written word.

Throughout history words have been used to move us, define us, captivate us and sometimes enslave us – so their power is awesome.

Sadly in my job it is an all too common occurrence, instead of praise and thanks to be down to size because of something you thought you were doing for the greater good of the company is seen to be stepping out of your box. I have lost count the number of times I’ve been told to “curb my enthusiasm” when I attempted to promote or better the image of the company. It seems that sometimes your efforts at publicity no matter how well intentioned and enthusiastic are not appreciated by a boss whose ego supersedes his reasoning. Sadly I have been witness to so many people who’ve been cut down to size on such a regular basis that I confess on occasions I’ve become hardened. I’m becoming the beast!! I tend to suffer regularly from the flattened or drooping ears syndrome and it is hard to stay motivated, as I’m sure one would agree.

Today changed all of that and I think the person concerned will know what I’m talking about. To get praise is great, you don’t expect it on a regular basis with trumpets and flowers, but occasional praise is nice. When you get it from someone who is so clearly in another constellation – no universe in terms of ability and overall competence, and who is just such a special unique person, then it is just that much more sweeter!! Needless to say the ears are flapping wildly and they will stay like that for a long long time.

Let the boss come with his nonsense – the ears are ready and waiting and they will stay up, they will prevail!!

No comments: