Saturday, July 5, 2008

Older but wiser?

As I turn 37 today - yes three more years and I join that famous 40 something club, I decided to try and reflect on what I've learnt over the years. I am older - wiser - well not sure yet!! I sometimes feel I am 16 and just starting my life, there is so much still to learn. I have learnt an awful lot and I feel grateful and appreciative for everything, yes, even the bad because it has made me a stronger person.

I've had to overcome a lot in my life, suffer through many operations, endure numerous sessions in plaster with pins stuck in my hips - so that I could walk again. The result of all these operations left me developmentally challenged and I spent many years at a special needs school learning the basics of just holding a pen!

I jumped into mainstream schooling with a gusto, and I am proud to say that in spite of my lack of studying sometimes, I never failed a year ever!!

Battling depression and a host of other problems throughout my 20's. I emerged into my 30's as an insecure and mixed up woman. Instead of celebrating my attributes, I choose to wallow in what I didn't have instead of what I did have.

It took a new job, a faraway friend and the resulting catalyst to set me on a new path that I am still on today. Even though my beloved Dad passed away last year, I am still on this path and determined to find what and who I am.

Older yes - wiser - maybe!!

No comments: