Took myself off to Durban this past week to meet up with a blast from my past - an old schoolfriend whom I haven't seen for 20 years. Yes, its been 20 years since I matriculated, and along with the horrors of grey hairs, fading memory and realising that I am old enough to remember stuff my teenage cousins call history as something that happened to me!! I must admit I was quite nervous and apprehensive as I met up with my friend, after all I haven't exactly turned out the way I thought I was going to, and some of my decisions - well lets say they were not exactly "intelligent ones"!
I need not have worried though as it was like we'd never ever been apart - we just clicked and fell right back together. Landed up having a real blast - doing things I haven't done for years - singing karaoke and flying a kite on the beach and just laughing. Awesome!!! Best of all I realised I wasn't the only one who'd made bad decisions with their life -in a twisted way it made me feel better as I realised that I wasn't the only one out there who'd made really dumb decisions. It was great to feel as if I was a "youngster" again - even if only for a bit as we discussed what had happened to our crushes, our less than perfect love lives and we gossiped like mad. A few bottles of wine, the best pizza south of the Zambezi and lots of laughter - and you have the perfect recipe for the weekend.
Realised that hey life ain't perfect, I must stop putting pressure on myself to live the life I think that others want me to lead - I have to do it for myself and that is the most IMPORTANT thing! My life is not perfect - hope it never is, because then it will be as boring as anything. I just want to live - run down the beach and feel the salt on my cheeks and laugh until I ache - that is my realisation and well it might've taken me 20 years to get to this point but now I am here!
The Secret to Hearing Your Spirit Guides | Lee Harris
-
This came up on my feed and was honestly something that I was expecting to
turn off after a few minutes but I found it really interesting so I'm
sharing...
9 months ago

5 comments:
You should always live the life you want, not the one you think you should. Break the constraints and enjoy!
Thanks you are spot on. Took me long enough though to realise this. Life is for living and enjoying - carpe dieum!
Was thinking the other day that it was 24 years since I left school and just starting to see some of my old schoolmates via Facebook!! Too true life is too short so enjoy and do it for yourself and not others!!
Wow talk about a blast from the past. Good ol Durbs. Great to catch up, good for the soul
My 20 year school reunion was this year. I didn't go - too scared of the memories I think!!! Certainly made me feel old until I read your post and suddenly felt all that adolescent inspiration, excitement and general enthusiasm again. And oh god I SOOOOOOOO am with you on the laughing til it hurts - what WAS that all about when we were young?! I miss it !!!!!!!!!!! Great post Megs
Post a Comment