The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson.
I've always been a fan of Bill Bryson, ever since I read his book on his travels along the Appalachian Trail in America. Laughed myself silly in parts and found myself wanting to read more. Bryson has a way of telling a story in such a way that you don't realise you're actually learning something at the same time.
This book is about his early life growing up in the 50's and 60's in rural Illinois. With his usual wit and twisted sense of humour he introduces us to his family. His sweet but somewhat dithery mother - who in spite of her repeated attempts is never going to quite be June Cleaver! Bill's father is a sportswriter for the local paper, and travels a lot to cover various baseball games. He's a typical father of the era - nice but distant and somewhat disconnected from his family at times. One of this favourite things to do is get a midnight snack buck naked, and this causes many embarrassing incidents!
Bryson imagines himself to be a super hero, a Thunderbolt Kid who can vaporise irritating and annoying people with his rays. Don't we all wish we could do this - I have a long long list of names!! I think he just wants to feel a sense of control of his life and by being this hero, he can do that. Something we can all relate to!!
I felt I could relate to him, even though he grew up in a time and place that is far removed from my own, and that I think is - or should be the goal of writers - to connect with their readers and let them feel they can identify with them.
Enjoy and have a good laugh - we all need that.
The Secret to Hearing Your Spirit Guides | Lee Harris
-
This came up on my feed and was honestly something that I was expecting to
turn off after a few minutes but I found it really interesting so I'm
sharing...
7 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment