Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Great Shop

Yesterday was the day of the dreaded Christmas shopping. A time when I lug myself off to the mall to fight my way through the hordes, spend my hard earned money and endure endless renditions of "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" on the PA system.

This year though I resolved that I wasn't going to blow my entire bonus on gifts for people, most of whom don't appreciate them to begin with! So I shopped smart and although it took a little longer, I managed to find some really nice things. I have to say though, that by the time it was over, my ears were completely shorn off and I had a flinty eyed look about me that scared little children!

So the gifts that I got, are ones that I know the people concerned will like. I've chopped quite a few people from my list - people who don't appreciate the gifts I've given in the past, and the money instead is going to be used for some local charities.

As I was waiting for my friend to finish in a particular shop, it struck me how commercialised and money orientated Christmas has become. Somewhere along the line Peace on Earth and Goodwill to all Men has been replaced by the size of the gift and amount spent. No more is it about just being thankful for a gift, now you have to compete with unabashed and not so subtle advertising. You are "encouraged" to spend and spend, not taking into account the fact you have to pay it all back in January long after the excitement of the season is gone. I was guilty of that in a big way, and used to dread the January accounts as I would have to spend half the year paying it back again. Not the best way to save!!

No comments: