Saturday, January 24, 2009

What a week!

It has been a week of momentous moments and events that have shaped and changed my world. Started off with Barack Obama's inauguration on Tuesday. Sat spellbound as I watched over a million people cheer as he was sworn in. Besides all the hype and usual pomp that accompanies this type of event. I was struck by the humility and warmth of Obama and his tactile interaction with his family. He stumbled a bit with his oath (in fact he had to retake it the next day!) which prompted Michele to smile and gently encourage him to finish. In the midst of such an historic event, you got the witness the very personal interaction between a man and wife.

My personal hope is that he ushers in a new era of personal responsibility, acknowledgment and acceptance that it is not going to be easy - and most importantly of all, the accurate representation of a Black family as a loving, caring and responsible role model to millions of people in America.

The other event which had an impact on my week, was the offer of another job, within the same organisation I work for now, but just a different path. I was initially extremely flattered that I had even been considered for the position, but did have some reservations and concerns. After much soul-searching and thought; I decided not to accept the position. It wasn't easy, but I feel I made the right decision in the end. Still it is nice to know that you are highly thought of and were recommended by the boss of the organisation himself. Just hope he puts his money where his mouth is, come increase time!

No comments: