Saturday, March 22, 2008

Should I eat the ears or the backside and the true meaning of it all

This is my major dilemma this weekend. Which part of my delicious Lindt Easter bunny to start on. It is a toss-up as I usually go for the tallest, and closest point to my salivating mouth – if only life could be so simple!!

I love Easter time – not only because I get to gorge myself and fulfil my chocolate cravings, but because it is a time of hope and renewal. Somewhere along the line in the midst of the loud commercialism of Easter eggs and bunnies the real message of Easter is lost. To me Easter is more important than Christmas – as it is the time when Christ died and was resurrected so that we may be cleansed of our sins and forgiven for all our wrong doings. That is a really powerful message, that we are forgiven for our sins. I wish people were so forgiving of each other. It seems like we hold grudges against others for the slightest thing these day. Over some imagined insult or slight or a funny look – nothing escapes our paranoia these days and we take our out our insecurities in the most violent and shocking ways. Just the other day a teenager stabbed his brother to death with a knife because he wouldn’t do his laundry!! It leaves me speechless that we are reduced to such violence over trivial things but when it comes time to defend our faith or beliefs many of us “wimp out”. I am not afraid to acknowledge my faith, and I admire those who adhere to theirs – it is not our right to judge which faith is the only one, that is God’s decision. We should learn to forgive and get on with each other – after all we have been reborn and cleansed – surely that should count for something?

So tomorrow when we’re sitting stuffing ourselves with those lovely marshmallow and chocolate Easter eggs we should try to remember that Easter is about forgiveness and rebirth, both spiritually and in our daily lives, lets all try and get on and forgive each other for what is past. I have discovered – very painfully that life is too short to hold grudges and be upset with people over things. Family and friends are the most important things and they should be cherished and celebrated.

Now bring me that bunny ……..

No comments: