Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sometimes its best not to say anything

Throughout my relatively short life my mouth has got me into some pretty sticky and stupid situations. I dont seem to know when to shut up - listen for the silences in between. Instead like a steaming ship I plunge boldy forth without thinking of the consequences of my words. As I get older (yes I have to face facts) I've learnt that sometimes its better to shut up not say anything and walk away with what's left with your dignity and reputation intact.

At the risk of flattened ears I've learnt that it is better to sometimes just agree and avoid a conflict. So Friday afternoon with an hour to go, I was called in for my wage "review". After the standard stock "we think you're working really well" and "we'd like to be able to pay you a lot more" I was given the news about my increase.

Dont get me wrong - I dont want to sound ungrateful as we live in a country of poverty with every job counting, but when one gets your dignity trampled apon just to satisfy a monstrous ego and arrogrance, you have to wonder why?? I just sat and listened as the crap flowed and nodded my head like a bobble doll backwards and forwards. Even if I'd been given the chance to get a word in edgeways, it wouldnt have been worth it.

Sometimes it just isnt worth the words and saying nothing is enough of a victory.

Silence is golden!!! but most importantly what goes up must come down!!

No comments: