Sunday, May 4, 2008

I was watching a tv documentary on people from all walks of life trying against the odds to climb the highest known and most famous mountain in the world - Mount Everest. From the safety of my armchair (and with lap pest curled up on me) I watched in amazement as they put themselves through freezing temperatures, oxygen deprivation and sheer mental and physical tortue just to get to the top of Everest. I have to admit I have some admiration for them, but I have to wonder what on earth drives people to try for such dangerous and often unattainable goals?

It seems that us humans,we are a funny complex lot, seem driven to do something bigger and better than anyone else just to prove that they are seemingly invincible. We don't seem to be content with just being these days, and thank goodness we dont, as some of the greatest inventions and inspiration leaders would not have brightened our lives had they just done nothing. We would not have had people such as Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, Winston Churchill, Thomas Eddison, Alexander Graham Bell to write the pages of history if they hadnt stood up to be counted.

We as humans seem driven to prove that we are better than the next person - we drive faster cars, live more vicariously, indulge in things to prove our seeming mastery of our surroundings. Jumping off cliffs and out of planes can be an exhilirating experience - dont get me wrong, but when you become obssesed with proving to yourself that you can conquer anything - it can become complicated. Dont get me wrong I think its great that we are constantly pushing the boundaries and limits of our experiences, but when it verges on the foolhardy - just for the sake of 20 seconds of fame, then we've crossed that invisible line between sensibility and madness all in the name of proving something.

With all the advances in technology and our accessiblity to everyone and everything, we've become more and more insecure. Isnt it ironic that something that was supposed to benefit us has landed up making us more miserable. We are tied to our laptops and emails and cellphones to such an extent that it has spawned a whole new culture and opened dangerous new avenues for us. We are now "on-line" 24/7 and can always be reached, no more hiding or taking time for yourself, we are now slaves to the technology we created!! No wonder we feel the need to escape in any form possible, just to remind ourselves that we still have some humanity left in us. If that means jumping off a cliff and getting that adrenalin rush, we'll do it just to prove that we are still in there, somewhere!!

The trick is to try and keep your humanity whilst navigating the maze and morass of the world today. I am trying - its not easy but I'm trying...

Over and out.

No comments: