Friday, August 29, 2008

Jelly Belly

I have another confession to make - this one's not life shattering, but I am dangerously addicted to Jelly Beans.

God Bless the Americans for inventing such a wonderful seriously orgasmic, remember I live in the countryside where there isnt much talent! Every single conceivable flavour from butter popcorn to pina coloda is represented, and more are being added every day. I just love em - yes sirree!! I can sit and happily munch my way through a whole packet. Like Ronald Regan I am a Jelly bean fiend.

Although its origins are ancient - in fact there is strong evidence that they date back to Biblical times where they were a much revered candy. It has evolved into many off-shoots; one of which is the Turkish delight. It wasn't until the American Civil War and an enterprising gentleman William Schraft, who decided to send these small candies to Union soldiers to perk them up that it really took off. They became the first confectionery item to be sold by weight, hence the claim that they were the first bulk candy.

However it took until the 1930's for them to really take off and find their way into holiday occasions where they've become a much loved treat for adults and children alike.

In 2007 14 billion - yep 14 billion were sold. That's enough jelly beans to circle the globe three times! It seems as if we cannot get enough of these little delights.

Me, well I am off to munch away.........

4 comments:

Everapominoz said...

I love them too, 'specially the licorice flavoured ones.
Welcome to the 888 network.

Glinda said...

Hi welcome to DAGland. It wouldn't hurt so much to lose him if you hadn't loved him so much. I'm sure your dad knew the way you felt.

Megan said...

Thanks everapominoz. Glad to find a fellow Jelly Belly and thank for the welcome. I think my favourites are the pina coloda and marshmallow ones, but I'll eat em all.

Megan said...

Hi Glina

Boy! that's really interesting, hadnt thought about it that way. Yes, suppose it wouldnt hurt if I didnt love him so much. Like the good witch picture from the Wizard of Oz. Think I'd be the Lion...