Saturday, November 8, 2008

History unfolding..

It was great to experience history in the making wasn't it? After watching the recent American Presidential elections, it made me realise that here I am watching something that will one day be considered an epochal moment in political history.

What made Barack Obama appeal to so many and help him get elected as the first President of colour in the history of America? Well, I am not an expert by any means, but I think he appealed to the ordinary person on the street. Everyone from working class to upper class in many cases seemed to find him inspiring. Why? well he made us realise that anyone, yes anyone with a dream can make it big and dreams can come true!!

We live in such a violent, cynical, needs driven society at times - that it is refreshing and just plain amazing to meet someone who can actually reach the pinnacle of success and still be a really nice guy. Watching his acceptance speech gave me goosebumps and brought me to tears - this man is good!!

However, now that the party is over, its time for him to tackle the biggest economic crisis for decades, try to keep rogue countries like North Korea, Iran and the Middle Eastern states from threatening innocent lives. His job is truly monumental, and this will be a great test of character and strength to see if he is up to it.

I though have confidence that he will make the right decisions. He was astute enough to court the significant and growing economic base of the Hispanic vote, and they were the ones who helped him capture the states of Colorado and New Mexico (traditionally Republican). Now he has to translate his promises into action - that will not be easy.

Its going to be fascinating to watch as history unfolds before our very eyes. I for one am glad to be watching it all.

No comments: