Yesterday we endured a day without electricity as the municipality did some repair work to one of the sub stations. Horror of horrors - a whole day without electricity! what on earth would we do. I have to admit the thought of no television, computer or radio filled me with a sense of dread.
Mom decided that we should go for a drive, so we took ourselves off the the nearby town of Howick to visit some friends. The weather was pleasant - hot yet with a nice soft breeze blowing. Spent a lovely day chatting and laughing with friends and shopping at various little outlets along the meander.
The reality of no electricity hit us when we came back to a darkened house and two most unimpressed felines. After fumbling around for the emergency light, we sat down and played Rummy. Now, I am not a card person at all, but I really enjoyed just sitting with Mom and having a fun game. It was nice to sit and chat without the distraction of a television/computer.
We rely so heavily on electricity for all our needs and comforts, that when it is taken away from us, we sometimes become insecure and anxious. How sad it is that we've lost the art of communicating and interacting. We'd rather sit and interact with a machine and tune ourselves out, than actually enjoy someone we love company.
To me there is no contest!! Give me people any day. They might be complex, demanding and draining - but hey who said life isn't interesting. As the well known curse goes 'May you live in interesting times'.
The Secret to Hearing Your Spirit Guides | Lee Harris
-
This came up on my feed and was honestly something that I was expecting to
turn off after a few minutes but I found it really interesting so I'm
sharing...
7 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment