Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cellphones....

They're everywhere, you cannot go anywhere (almost!) without falling over people using them. Quietness reigns where once they was animated conversations. People now tend to spend most of their time hunched over their cellphones texting or replying to messages.

In restaurants you are treated to the sight of businessmen glued to their Blackberrys conducting their daily tasks. It has bought us closer than we could have imagined, yet it has also alienated us in ways which most people don't even know!

Perhaps I am getting old and cranky - I am turning 38 this year - two more years until the big 40! and have the grey hairs (courtesy of a certain person!) to prove it. When I was young, you sat and chatted in a social setting, laughed and gossiped about each other, and generally just had a good chat. Now days you find most people texting away madly or forever looking at their cellphones for message. The only sound is the clicking of the keypads as people text away.

Its quiet ..... very quiet.

No comments: