Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Farewell to a Giant

Last Wednesday the heavens opened and hell burst forth in what became one of the worst storms ever seen in this area. It was in fact a tornado of sorts, and it caused extensive damage in the surrounding area - roofs ripped off, trees and telephone lines down.

Sadly we did not escape the fury of the storm and our huge beloved Pin Oak which had stood for many years and sheltered all manner of creatures came crashing down. Thankfully it fell down the land and not onto the cottage. It is quite sobering to watch trees ripped out lying lifeless on their sides - it almost seems like the land has been raped!!

I feel quite sick when I look at my Magic Faraway Tree - yes I grew up on Enid Blyton, lying toppled on its side lifeless and dull.

Farewell noble tree. Thank you for years of loyal service to us.

No comments: